The best mattress to fit your needs and budget is more simple than ever, and this is because there are so many good mattresses to pick from today. We are aware of this because we have spent hundreds of hours examining the most recent models, including tried and tested classics that stand through the years. We’ve used the mattresses and analyzed the feedback of thousands of user reviews, leading us to determine the top mattresses here to help you find your dream pick.
Our best mattress guide will provide everything you need to make the right choice with mattresses to suit all budgets, from cheap and cheerful to sheer hotel luxury in your own bedroom. If you are in need of constant pressure relief or are suffering from back and neck discomfort, take a look at these memory foam mattress options listed below. Hybrids can be a great option for this, since they combine the body-cradling magic of foam and the comfort of coils. We’ve also come across reliable cooling mattresses for hot sleepers, plus organic ones that are not toxic and allergy friendly. Proper spinal support and full comfortable body are the top criteria, so expect that from each mattress listed below.
All of the models of our top mattress guide are sold online and because these brands do not have the expense of bricks and mortar stores, they’re priced much cheaper. Certain manufacturers also offer you bedding free with your purchase, ensuring you get more value for your money. In just a few clicks you can get a brand new mattress delivered right to your home… as well as to your bedroom if you select a brand that offers white glove delivery service. If you decide to change your mind, the firm will collect it and refund you.
Our top recommendation is to choose a mattress manufacturer that provides the risk-free trial for at least 30 nights (all our top choices include at 100 nights). Why? because it takes your body up to three weeks to get used to a new mattress. We also recommend looking for a sale prior to purchasing.
A majority of the mattresses in our top mattress guide are usually on offer, and to save you money, we’ve rounded-up the latest mattress deals on our top foam hybrid, and latex models.
How to choose the best mattress
The only way to truly determine if a mattress is suitable your needs is to lie on it. That’s why all the options that we have included in our best mattress guide come with an extended trial that is risk-free – if you don’t like the mattress, you can return it back to try a different. But, there are a few key things to know that will help you choose the best mattress.
Here, we’ll answer the most frequently asked questions when they are looking to buy a new mattress, and explain some of the important factors to consider. We’ll also provide our top tips and tricks for choosing the ideal mattress that fits your budget and recap the best-rated mattresses available at the moment.
Which is the best mattress?
The simple answer is that there’s not a single best type of mattress. Why? Because everyone is unique and the best mattress that is right for you will depend on your body type, health , and your sleeping habits. Secondly, it’s because the differences between different types of mattress are becoming less noticeable. Materials have advanced so much in the last five years alone that it’s hard to notice any perceptible distinction when sleeping on them.
This is a good thing for you: it means you should be able to choose one of the mattresses in our top mattress guide and be extremely happy with your choice – no matter if it’s made of copper-infused memory foam coils, cooling latex, or a cutting-edge combination of all-natural materials.
It is useful to know what each mattress type is prior to making the final decision. With this in mind, here’s a look at the primary options, and highlight the main differences between them…
Memory foam mattress
The Nectar Memory Foam mattress has three inches of memory foam. Memory foam is a great choice for those who want to feel “hugged” in their mattresses. This material contours to your body, offering greater pressure relief than spring-based options and is great in absorbing motion. This is the reason alone makes it a great choice for anyone who shares an uneasy bed with a companion (but is not the ideal choice in case you like bouncing on your mattress, it’s best to choose an innerspring or hybrid).
The main benefit in memory foam is that you can sink into it, which is why it provides higher than average cushioning. As with any all-foam mattress, such dense material can feel warmer at night than other options. But, the most effective memory foam mattresses today are packed with special cooling materials designed to regulate your temperature while you sleep.
Saatva’s top innerspring mattress, the Saatva Classic, is available in three different levels of firmness. (Image image credit: Saatva) Innerspring mattress utilize a coil-based support system that provides comfort and structure. The amount, height, and design of the coils can vary and while traditional innerspring mattresses were made with interconnected coils, the term is being used more and more for mattresses made of pocket springs.
They are made up of individual coils wrapped within their own pocket and can move independently – offering improved pressure relief, more comfort, and better motion isolation. In general, the more pocket springs you have in your mattress, the more support it will provide. It is also possible to use one of the best mattress toppers to immediately add an extra layer of comfort and support.
One key difference between innerspring mattresses and all foam choices is that they’re buoyant: they allow you to sleep on top of them, rather than sinking down into them. This is great news for those who sleep hot, since this means that your body heat won’t be trapped in the mattress, plus the springs allow greater air circulation, unlike thick foam. Innerspring mattresses also have more bounce than all-foam options and can be less expensive.
Hybrids, such as Dreamcloud bring you the most beneficial of both worlds: You get the individualized cushioning of memory foam latex or gel and also enjoy the soft bounce and enhanced airflow that springs provide. The coils of hybrid mattresses tend to be smaller than the ones in traditional mattresses, and you’ll typically (but never always) have a thinner the memory foam.
A lot of the top mattresses are hybrid. They’re an option that can be adapted to make a good compromise for couples with different sleep preferences, and they’re an excellent choice for hot sleepers who appreciate the soft feel of foam.
Plushbeds is made of GOLS organic-certified latex from the company’s co-owned farmers’ collectives. Latex mattresses are made of a highly sturdy latex foam made of natural materials, rather than synthetic materials (which memory foam mattresses are constructed from). If you are looking for an organic and sustainable mattress, latex is the perfect mattress material.
It’s not as dense than memory foam making latex mattresses less prone to overheating. Latex also offers good bounce and contouring. In addition the exceptional quality and durability make latex an excellent option if you’re looking to get your mattress to last and last for a long time, but it’s not inexpensive!
The Best Mattress Brands To Buy
Below is a list of the top mattresses, as of the time of this writing.
These are listed in no particular order.
Every mattress type has a brand listed that we feel is the best/
- The Saatva Classic mattress offers all the features side sleepers need without sacrificing the decadence of a luxury brand.Saatva Classic mattress offers all the features side sleepers need without sacrificing the decadence of a luxury brand.
- Fully customizable, the Saatva Classic offers 3 firmness level, sizes and heights. It is also made from only high-quality, eco-friendly materials.
- Saatva also provides at home setup, and removal of your old mattress at no charge.
- Saatva offers free shipping and 180 night sleep trial. Best Mattress For Firmness
- Puffy’s Adaptive Flexible Cloud Technology has been known to really help ease back pain.
- With Puffy, you receive both a 101 night sleep trial, alongside a lifetime warranty.
- One of the highest quality mattresses for your money. Puffy is made to order, and ships in 2 days.
- Puffy’s top layer is CertiPUR-US Certified, and is made of Cooling Cloud Relief Foam. The Cooling Cloud Relief foam layer is the layer that gives you the “sleeping on a cloud” sensation. The last layer, made up Firm Core Support Foam, is also CertiPUR-US Certified. Best Mattress For Firmness
- Dreamcloud is a outstanding mattress option. DreamCloud’s hypoallergenic premium natural latex coating provides a cushioning bounce for additional added contouring and give.
- Some of DreamCloud’s finest features are it’s cashmere and flax yarn blend; along side it’s stitched handles. With a cost of $1199 for a Queen, you can’t go wrong.
- A luxury hybrid which gives a whole 365 night sleep trial, versus the Normal 100 night trial. New pocket coil technologies allows the manufacturing cost to be cheaper, and the savings are passed directly to the customer.
- The double-sided Layla mattress that allows sleepers to select between different firmness levels, based on which side they choose to confront up. Layla mattress includes a sense, that’s different than you have ever felt. Additionally, it lets you keep cool, and spring back extremely rapidly. Best Mattress For Firmness
- The milder side of this mattress is made up of 3 inches of copper infused memory foam. It has a 3.5lb density, and is a very comfortable layer. This memory foam coating is rather thick. This gives you pressure relief, even as it lets you sink
- Layla offers a four month sleep trial period, along with a lifetime guarantee. Because most manufacturers only have a 10 year warranty, this is a major selling point for Layla.
- Purple Mattress is one of the most well known mattress companies worldwide.
- Purple uses hyper-elastic polymer in the construction of their mattresses, as opposed to memory foam.
- Purple mattress feels different compared to any other brand on the market. Best Mattress For Firmness
- Enables you to sleep cool throughout the night, all while having a really responsive motion transfer.
- Purple mattress includes a 10 year limited warranty.
- The top layer consists of a hyper-elastic polymer gel grid. The bottom layer is comprised of polyurethane foam. Best Mattress For Firmness
- Awara offers both innerspring support, along with a comfort system in their luxury hybrid mattress.
- A latex hybrid, Awara Mattress pairs a 4-inch layer of natural, Rainforest Alliance-certified Dunlop latex with a 9-inch support core of pocketed coils.
- The latex of the Awara is certified by the Rainforest Alliance. This means it meets the criteria on environmental sustainability, social and economic impact.
- With the top cover being made of New Zealand wool and organic cotton, the latex of the Awara is also GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard) certified. Best Mattress For Firmness
- Mattresses are made with toxin-free substances and are certified with GreenGuard Gold standing to ensure every mattress is comfortable to sleep on and secure for your wellbeing .
- PlushBeds provides latex mattresses with a focus on natural, organic substances. Plushbeds possess a total of three mattress variations within their lineup: Each mattress has a total of 6 different firmness levels. From the King and Cal King you can even divide the firmness levels
- Free transport is offered by Plushbeds. Together with a 100 night sleep trial, and 25 year guarantee. Best Mattress For Firmness
- The Aurora is a hybrid bed mattress, showing it includes a number of foam layers and a layer of coil springs.
- The Aurora is provided in 3 firmness levels: soft, medium, and firm.
- Currently, the Aurora is one of the very best selling and finest value mattresses readily available.
- Best suited for back sleepers, and those who sleep hot.
- Features a 120 night sleep trial and a 10 year warranty.
- Probably the most popular mattress right now, Nectar does not disappoint with it is excellent relaxation. Nectar provides fabulous support, along with a sinkage that’s just right.
- While many mattress brands provide a 10 year warranty, Nectar has it’s own Forever Warranty.
- The top layer of Nectar mattress is constructed with Quilted Gel Visco Elastic Memory Foam. Additionally, it comes with a gel memory foam, together with Polyurethane Support Foam.
- Most mattress manufacturers possess a 100 night sleep trial; Nectar provides you a full year to test theirs.
How can I determine the right size mattress?
The most important thing to consider when choosing the ideal mattress is to ensure that it’s at least 10cm wider than the highest person who sleeps on it. If you’re sharing the bed, you and your partner must be able to lay your hands under your head without your elbows touching. If you’re sleeping alone and you’re not sharing a bed, you’ll be able to get the size mattress if it’s possible to place your hands beneath your head without touching edges of the mattress. Therefore, measure the distance and so long as you select the mattress that’s larger than the measurement, you’ll be good.
The majority of the mattresses listed in our best mattress guide are available in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and California king sizes. Some come in split options too, which enable you to select a different mattress firmness to your partner. You can also find mattresses that have a different degree of firmness on each side (soft on one side, firm and firm on the contrary).
The more spacious or deeper the mattress, the higher the price. The majority of twin mattresses are around a hundred dollars less than the queen size, however, the king and California king sizes average around $200 more than the queen size. Hybrid mattresses, luxury , and premium versions typically are more expensive than the original or basic mattresses that are listed.
What is the proper mattress firmness?
Medium firm is always the most requested mattress and that’s the reason why most premium mattresses fall within a range of 7 to 10 on the scale of firmness (10 is the degree of firmness).
However, mattresses are subjective. Firmness and comfort depend on a wide range of elements, including your weight of your body, your height, body shape as well as your sleeping style, temperature, and whether you are experiencing any pain, such as in your back or hips. So, one person’s experience of an mattress will be completely different to that of another person; and whether you prefer a softer or firmer mattress will come down to your individual taste.
(That’s why we employ a range of different people to test our mattresses – and also the reason we read thousands of user reviews. Be aware of this when noting our ‘firmness gauge’, which ranges from 1 to 10 10, with 10 being the most firm. You may find a mattress to be slightly softer or firmer than what we’ve observed.) But, there’s some general guidelines to help you decide which level of mattress firmness may be most at ease with…
1. Think about your preferred sleeping position. Back sleepers typically require a moderately firm mattress. This is the best of both as it provides a balanced spine alignment while supporting shoulders and hips, but without putting too excessive pressure on the shoulder and hips. If your mattress feels too firm, those who sleep on their backs may find their spine forming an uncomfortable U-shape, which creates strain.If it’s too hard, the natural curve of ‘S’ of your spine may not be supported properly.
Side sleepers need good pressure relief on their shoulders and hips, and for their body contours to be supported. A mattress that is medium to medium soft is usually a good choice. If it’s too firm, though the spine will not be aligned well with shoulders and hips. Memory foam is usually the most suitable mattress option for sleepers on the side due to its above-average characteristics for contouring.
The people who sleep in the front do better when they sleep on a mattress with more firmness. This helps lift the hips up so they’re aligned with the spine. It also prevents the spine from forming the shape of a U. If it’s too firm, it’ll be uncomfortable – particularly for women – and can hinder the spine from being able to curve naturally. Too soft and it can feel almost suffocating. Hybrid and innerspring mattresses may be better as opposed to foam mattresses for people who sleep in the front.
Sleepers who are a combination should select according to their dominant sleep position (the position that you typically fall asleep in). If you don’t already have one, an average firm mattress will dish out the best comfort and support in all sleeping positions.
2. Consider your body weight lighter sleepers that weigh less than 130lbs don’t sink as far into the mattress, and could be well-suited to softer options as a result – between 2 and 4 on the firmness scale. A mattress with a moderate firmness is also a good option.
A person who weighs between 130 and 230lbs is generally better suited to medium and medium-firm mattresses. The range is between 5-7 on the firmness scale.
The heavier sleepers who weigh over 230lbs can be well-suited to mattress that are firmer, with 8-10, which stops them from sinking into the different levels of comfort.
3. Take advantage of the risk-free trial to sleep. It can take up to three weeks for your body’s body to adjust to a new mattress. This is particularly true if the old mattress wasn’t supporting you properly, so don’t assume that when you first get sore when you wake up, the reason isn’t right It could be due to your body adjusting to greater support. The majority of mattress tests require the minimum period of 21 days for exactly this reason.
In addition to how the mattresses feels like, there’s a quick trick you can use to determine if the mattress is the right level of firmness for you. Lay down on your back and put your hands in the small of your back. If there’s a huge gap, the mattress is too firm and if there’s not a gap, the mattress is too soft.
What is the time it will take to get a new mattress?
This depends on which type of mattress you’re purchasing and the firmness of it however, generally speaking, it can take anywhere between 30 days and three months to get used to the new levels of comfort and support. This is why some mattress manufacturers will require that you sleep on the mattress for at least 30 days before they’ll arrange a collection in case you don’t love it.
If you’re selecting a different mattress than the one you have previously owned – for instance, you used to sleep on a mattress made of foam but now you’re looking to purchase an hybrid mattress, you’ll be able to tell the difference in a short longer. In order to help you get comfortable with the new bed, make sure you allow it time to completely decompress. If you can do this, your mattress will be able to give the best comfort and support right from the beginning. It can take anywhere from a few hours up to 72 hours to complete this process, so be patient.
You can relax on various parts of your new mattress (so don’t just sit in the same spot) and keep sleeping on it to allow it to “bed in” faster. Be sure to avoid sleeping in a different mattress (if you have the option)) or on your sofa, because the faster you break in your new mattress, the faster you’ll be able to enjoy every minute of your time in it.
What’s the best mattress for 2021?
We believe that the Nectar Memory Foam is the top mattress to buy because it’s a fantastic value for the money. It’s comfortable and supportive and also very competitively priced. The queen size typically costs $799, down from $1,198 – and all sizes are available at Nectar with a per-permanent $400 discount plus $399-worth of accessories for free. It’s an incredible deal for the price. But it is worth noting that Nectar Memory Foam is also an excellent choice for a long time. Nectar Memory Foam also comes with a huge trial period of 365 days and a lifelong warranty, and the returns policy is straightforward and fair.
In addition, if you have a little more to spend or want a mattress with a little more bounce, we’d recommend the luxurious internalspring hybrid Saatva Classic mattress. It’s about $1,300 for a queen – it’s typically a $200 discount available If you’re looking to get the best hotel luxury it’s the mattress for you. It’s also endorsed from the American Chiropractic Association, making it a great option for those suffering from back pain.
Another perk to buying from Saatva is Saatva’s free White Glove Delivery service. It’s a part of the service Saatva’s team of experts will set your new mattress in your preferred bedroom and then take away your old one if you plan it ahead of time.
So , if you’re looking to get the most value for your money, choose the Nectar. If you want hotel-luxury snoozing, and you have more to spend, then give the Saatva an opportunity.